Thursday, September 08, 2005

essay #1 - diagnostic

this was to see where we *were* as writers...

question: why are you attending this college? 15-minute time frame

start/

with eager anticipation in the fall of 2004, i signed up for and attended two college-level courses -- one was english composition 101 and the other, algebra I. it had been several years since i had taken any formal math course, but it was a class i was actually looking forward to. i went to classes for about six weeks before i had to (sadly) withdraw. leaving algebra wasn't very difficult, but leaving my english class? that had me tearful.

i initially wanted to be a nursing major...what little girl didn't want to be a nurse? all the excitement i felt about my decision quickly dissipated with my "not-so-silent-partner-in-my-business" of a father-in-law declared it an "unsound judgment" and vowed to make me miserable the balance of my days (not really) should i decide to stay in school. i reluctantly opted out, but later discovered it was actually the right thing to do after all because it enabled me to focus on my business and determine whether nursing actually was my true calling.

when the topic of school came up again this past spring, it was decided that i would attempt school once again. i changed my major to literature (my "true" love) and entered into a pinky-swear that i'd see things through this time, regardless of outside forces.

over-bearing but well-meaning inlaws aside, one knows that all pinky-swears are ever-solemn, so i am afraid you are stuck with me, at least this semester.

/end

No comments:

Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent. Issac Asimov